"A website with close ties to Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has outlined why it would be acceptable to kill all Jews and annihilate Israel."
13. Have there been efforts to eliminate nuclear weapons?Submitted by MikeChalberg on Mon, 2012-03-05 12:08
More FAQs in:
Certainly. Many treaties have been signed over the years with the hope of reducing and eventually eliminating nuclear weapons. Practically speaking though, nuclear weapons are immensely powerful and now that they are available it is unlikely we will ever be able to get them back into pandora's box, so to speak.
Here is a small list of nuclear treaties and agreements as well as attempted agreements:
- McCloy-Zorin Accords (1961)
- Partial Test Ban Treaty (1963)
- Outer Space Treaty (1967)
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (opened for signature in 1968)
- Seabed Arms Control Treaty (1971)
- Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone (signed for numerous areas at different times)
- SALT I (Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty – 1972)
- SALT II (1979)
- START I (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty – 1991)
- START II (1993)
- New START (2010)